Orioles are beautiful birds with an amazing song and bright, sunny plumage. These stunning birds LOVE sweet blossoms and fruit, particularly oranges.
To attract these beauties to your yard you could simply stick orange slices out on posts in the yard, or you can make a decorative treat with sliced oranges with these simple steps.
What you will need:
2-3 inch twigs
string or twine, cut in 12-15 inch lengths
a skewer or knitting needle (I used a knitting needle)
1. Slice oranges in half
2. Cut a few 2-3 inch twig bits
I used willow twigs because they are plentiful in our yard and are flexible
3. Use a sharp knife to cut a small nick in the center of each twig, as shown below
4. Wrap string or twine around nick in center of each twig and tie securely
5. Use skewer or knitting needle to poke a hole through the center of each orange slice
6. Push twine or string through hole in orange from bottom to top, so that twig sits and base of orange
This step is very juicy and sticky, don’t be afraid to get good and messy for the sake of the birds!
7. Hang your finished bird treats in a tree where you can watch the orioles enjoy them!
Orioles love the sweet blossoms of apple trees so I decided to hang some orange slices here for an added attraction.
Orioles build incredible hanging basket-like nests. You can cut some lengths of string or twine and lay them on garden fences or branches for these amazing builders to collect for their nests. Enjoy your bird watching!